Monday, December 11, 2017


When I came into the rooms, my moral compass was shattered. My parents raised me with a strict code of ethics; however, they simply didn't translate into the world of addiction so I readily cast aside my moral underpinnings to live the life I chose.

People in the rooms helped me rebuild my compass. It started with simple "cash register honesty," giving back too much change to a cashier when overpaid, for example. Once with over a decade clean I stood at an ATM and the man in front of me left his card in the slot. I took the card and held it, while the man I was dating, a "normie," grabbed the card and ran after the guy, giving him back his debit card. I, in contrast, had to think through the dilemma to know what to do.

Today, I reflexively know how to handle situations where I must make ethical choices. You, my beloved tribe members, taught me that with love, patience and tolerance.

Tomorrow I'm flying across country to teach an ethics class. Think of the irony, I'm paid by members of my profession to teach business ethics. The irony.

This is the miracle of recovery: That we can get clean, lose the desire to use, and become productive members of society.

No comments: