Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Ms. Roger's neighborhood

I am used to living on acreage, away from people, cars, noise and other animals. This Missouri house is in a neighborhood, something I'm not used to, nor is Romy, who is already asleep, exhausted from today's guard duties.

When I walked her down the street this morning, there was a small brown and white bulldog who had chewed through his leash that ran toward us, happy to see someone who might know what to do. "Where do I live?" he seemed to ask. Romy was offended but managed to let him tag along. He followed us home where I set out several bowls of water. He was just a pup, and once he'd drunk his fill, he wanted to chew on my leg, my hand, anything he could sink his little teeth in. He lay in the grass under the tree for awhile and when he realized Romy wasn't about to let him in the house, he wandered off toward what I think is his home midblock.

As if that wasn't enough excitement, a salesperson came by the house and Romy scared him off the porch when she banged open what I thought was a locked screen door with her foot. She don't take too kindly to strangers. I then introduced her to the postal person, but she was not impressed. She enjoyed the car rides to the PO box, thank you. "What's this delivery stuff all about?" she seemed to ask.

A few hours later, toward dusk, I heard her barking from the sunporch where she lies to watch the birds and squirrels, who are beginning to discover the feeders. A woman walking a chihuaha stopped in front of the house when she saw me and waved. I went out to introduce myself, trying to avoid her dog's teeth as he nipped at me. She lives a few doors down and she rattled off all the names of the other neighbors. We talked for a few minutes (she's a lobbyist for animal rights) and she mentioned a street barbecue the neighborhood holds in June.

Tonight I found a tick on Romy's ear, something I would never have in Skull Valley. We've only been here a week and we have parasites. And neighbors. Yuck. I don't know if I can get used to living in town or not. The jury is still out.

No comments: