Sunday, December 31, 2006

Gung Hay Fat Choy


or Happy New Year as they say in Chinatown. 2007 is the year of the Pig. I hope you find yourself surrounded by people you love tonight.

I received an email yesterday from my sponsor, who lives in Phoenix (hey, it works for me but don't try this at home). I emailed her regarding the issue about my birthday night and my home group member's almost palpable disgust for me. She said "Unfortunately, you suffer from the 'endless loop tape' like most addicts."

I remember once when I was in treatment this old guy spoke at a meeting we went to. As he stood at the podium, he held a flat rock, about three inches in diameter. "This is how you turn it over," he said. He took the flat rock and turned it over, setting it down for a moment. Then he picked it back up and turned it over again. He did this about five or six times and at first I thought "Gee, this guy is mentally challenged." But suddenly, it was one of those "aha!" moments for me. In one clear moment, I understood exactly what he meant. We keep turning it over until we don't have to turn it over anymore! (Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words!)

If no one has told you yet today that they love you, I do.

5 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Hey 2 dogs! (do you realise that sounds like a rapper name?) ..Its quite cool actuallly. Well it reminds ME of a rapper name, and I like rappper names, so I think its a GOOD thing. But I digress! Thanks for the nice new year post, and i hope you have a SERIOUSLY cool one!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the pig info.

I love those a~ha moments. Very cool.

Have a wonderfully sober new year!

G~

Rex said...

A very Happy New Year to You!

Judith said...

Happy New Year!

I'll try that turning it over trick. It sounds so crazy it just might work.

Best wishes to you!
~Judith

Meg Moran said...

Happy New Year (of the pig) to you.
2 dogs sounds like an indian name to me.........you know the rest

Luv,