Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Another day

It's cold and clear in Missouri today. The snow is dirty now, and still icy in some spots. There isn't much going on. I started grad school last week and I've been doing the assigned reading and figuring out what I'm going to be doing papers on, one from each class I'm taking.

I'm getting my masters in sociology. I think I've always seen the world in "horizontal linkages," as Marx called them; those interconnections of people. The thing I like about working past the BA is that you can specialize more and begin to hone your areas of interest. Of course (as you can probably tell based on my recent posts), I am going to focus on women "deviates." Because I'm a "conflict" theorist, I believe that women, or drug addicts for that matter, are labeled "deviant" by the ruling elite. It's amazing to me that most of the top sociologists, criminal justice thinkers and many federal judges are calling for decriminalization of drugs and yet that issue isn't even on anyone's radar.

Nor is national health care, although Senator Clinton has said that if elected, she will make this a priority. To me, it's disgraceful that this nation, which has plenty of money to throw trade at China, outsource jobs, send troops into countries, imprison a majority of certain populations and stuff themselves with favors and gratuities, won't even consider helping to level the playing field so that health care is affordable.

I was at the capital again a few days ago and a regional communications firm was there giving away jewelry to legislators. They had a list and the legislators were filing by picking up their spoils. Want to have some fun? Go to your state's capital on any given day, but perhaps pick a Friday, and watch what happens. You'll see food baskets, ill-hidden booze, giveaways, free food buffets, the list goes on and on and on. Our legislator, at least at the state level, runs on food and booze and gratuities. Can you imagine what it's like at the Federal level?

I don't have much to share today. When I do say something important, it seems to be too difficult for me. I found myself crying this morning over feelings brought up by my post on Saturday. It's amazing having this many years in recovery and still grieving over old hurts. The promise that "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it" has yet to come true completely in my life. So I'm keeping my posts light for awhile, I think.

I've been working on a promotion for a local business here and tonight is their buffet with a certain state caucus of legislators. So you see, I'm part of the problem. If you give them food, they will come. So until tomorrow, have a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole lobbying thing is pretty ugly to me -- but politics is all a game anyway and games get ugly when someone has to win, right?
I'm not sure you are part of the problem just through a connection to a lobbying company, are you?
Peace, my Dawg,
Scout

Anonymous said...

anxiously awaiting your wednesday post!
Peace,
Scout