Friday, June 30, 2006

And you thought Bird Flu was worrisome

A Capricorn Beetle, thought to be extinct for at least 300 years, was found in a piece of furniture in a furniture shop in Wales. A carpenter at the factory thought it looked like "a monster from Dr. Who," according to the online version of the London Times. Another said "I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for a beetle," whatever 'gobsmacked' is. I thought it was a play, but what do I know.

Rather than smashing it with a hammer, as some employees wanted to do, they put the beetle in a bottle and a local entymologist scurried in and "recognized its importance." He predicted, sadly, its life expectancy was only about two more weeks. That's about two weeks longer than I'd predict if I found it.

I can't filch the photo, but if you'd like to toss your lunch, see this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5120626.stm

So what's bugging you this fine day?

No comments: