Saturday, June 03, 2006

Prison ministry banned

A new AP article states an Iowa judge banned a prison-based ministry from going into the prisons. Americans United for Separation of Church and State apparently sued to abolish the prison program. Its executive director said, according to the article, "This calls into question the funding for so many programs. Anyone who doesn't stop it is putting a giant 'sue me' sign on top of their building."

Ah, our lovely legal beagles whine again. I imagine that AA and NA programs may be scrutinized given this mandate, since our programs refer to God and a Higher Power. While an appeal is planned, the group has 60 days to terminate the program.

This ruling comes at a time when I had a very trying time of service last night, trying to spearhead some much-needed interior building repairs at my home group. One woman became very upset with me and I admit, I was upset right back. I didn't sleep well last night and I clearly recall why, at seven years clean, I vowed to refrain from general service and serve only minimally at the group level. But I'll talk to others today and try to put perspective on why this is bothering me. I do know that the only place in service where I haven't gotten heartburn is when I've served on the local H&I (Hospitals & Institutions) committee where I live.

My service pedigree includes several H&I stints including beginning the first jail meeting in the Phoenix area for women inmates and helping on a several federal prison meetings. I love going into the prisons and jails because I know that there are women, incarcerated, who feel that they are hopeless, the same way I felt when I came into the rooms. H&I carries the message to those who so badly need it, the incarcerated.

I'll do more research on this ruling and follow it, as well as check with our Fellowships to see what the H&I committees will do in response to this. But today, I'll try to remember that service, although not always pleasant, helps me stay clean another day. See, it is all about me after all, as I was told last night.

No comments: