Tuesday, June 20, 2006

You are the daughter of a King!

The daily meditation book I use every day is called God Calling. If you look in the front of the daily meditation book most AA groups use, you'll see a dedication to this book. God Calling was written in 1932 by two "believers," women who were going through difficult times and took the verse from Matthew 18:19-20 to heart. "If two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in Heaven.

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

These believers waited for God's word and it came, powerfully. A.J. Russell then came upon the writing and edited it. God Calling has become one of the best-selling devotionals of all time. I buy it for women I love in my life. My significant other and I read it together every day we can. It always fills our heart with simple, pure joy.

One of my favorite passages spoke to me so clearly I was moved to tears. "You are the daughter of a King," it said. Each year I come across that passage I call my friend Lisa in Columbia and we repeat: "You are the daughter of a King." If I understand this in my heart, how can anything trouble me?

I remember when I was first clean I went to my father to make amends, as I've blogged before, and he interrupted me as I began to say how terribly sorry I was for hurting him so badly during my addiction. He held up one huge hand and said "You will never be anything less than perfect in my eyes." A father's love for his daughter, so pure, so unconditional. I believe that is how my Heavenly Father loves me, too, if I can remember it when I am down, troubled, worried about the future.

The past six weeks have been difficult and when that happens I simply keep my head down and walk forward in faith. Fear isn't lack of faith; it's fear. We can be afraid, momentarily or longer, and still have faith that God will bring us forward.

When I am fearful, I continue to pray. Although I certainly have been unable to make sense of the past two years--the painful death my mother suffered, my illness, the transplant, the loss of my career. I only know that God hasn't brought me this far to abandon me. I am the daughter of a King.

No comments: